Toilet training two year old girl who can't talk yet

So my cheeky tot will be two on Sunday, I can't believe the time has flown by so quick. A few days ago I noticed that when she is about to pee in her nappy she looks down and says 'uh oh'. At first I thought she was playing but then she kept doing it. My little diva can do everything, jump, do roly poly's, walk up the stairs by herself, climb off the bed alone etc but she will not talk!
Before the age of one she used to talk a lot, saying random words here and there but after her first birthday she just stopped completely. She will say mum and dad, occasionally she will say a new word but she will never say more than one word at a time to try and string a sentence together. We call her Charlie Chaplin because you can have a conversation with her and she mimes back or points, she understands but is too lazy to talk.

So since I noticed she was aware of when she needed to pee or poo I decided to start potty training her, so off I went in search of some helpful information and tips and tricks. So I tried sitting her on the toilet seat but she was scared so I decided to buy a potty instead. Many places will tell you to buy a toilet seat and potty so they can choose but that can get a little pricey. The potty I bought it very basic and very cheap, plus it looked more comfy that the expensive ones.

When to start?
When your little one can tell you that they are about to go then that's a good idea to start, if you try before it can lead to disappointment so I would wait until they can understand.

What is the best age to potty train?
There is no actual right or wrong answer, my mum said I was toilet trained by 18 months but she started when I was one. From what I have read the earliest is two and should be attempted before two and a half. Most children are dry by the age of three but some are more stubborn than others.

Now this is what I read from another blogger I came across, take a doll and put her on the potty, take a syringe or cup full of water and pretend she's using the potty. This will then encourage your little one to use it too. They may be afraid or lazy but you should just keep trying. If there is no interest then stop for a few weeks and give it another try.

Many people say not to use pull ups during this time because it confuses them but for my little one it worked, when she wet herself she cried thinking she did something bad. Nights are harder because you don't want to wake them so make sure they don't have any liquids at least one hour before bed, then stress that they go potty before bed. Try not to venture far for the first few weeks of potty training. I made a reward chart for my diva and that really encouraged her to go, for every 5 stickers she got she was reward with a present. She's into arts and crafts so I didn't spoil her with sweets but with creative projects, don't start the bad habits of bribing early it really is hard to break as they get older.

It is trial an error but even though my little one doesn't talk she sure understands, I think she will be toilet trained before she can speak!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up