How to help baby teeth come through faster

I get asked this question a lot by my friends, my little one is 18 months old now and has all her baby teeth come through (apart from the second molars that take up to two years to erupt), they were all present from around 16-17 months. Her cousin is two weeks younger and has only 6 teeth! Now my daughter started teething early from around 3 months, she was cranky and always biting her hands and toys, even her health visitor thought she may get teeth early.

Her first tooth didn't actually poke though until she was 6-7 months old and yes she let the whole world know, she was a right dribbler, she also had a high temperature and the runs, so it was pretty obvious she was teething. Now when she was around 6 months old and I could feel little and see the little stumps trying to cut through the gums, so I used to rub a little teething gel onto the gums and it soothed her. Then all of a sudden she stopped being so cranky and she wouldn't dribble or chew everything, then a week or so later it started up again.

I couldn't understand why it was taking so long, then I found out the reason. teething gel does provide relief but it also hardens the gum so the teeth take longer to cut through the gums. So by giving her teething gel I was making the teeth work harder to cut through. I stopped applying teething gel and sought other natural ways to ease her discomfort.

How to help teething pain
I started giving her a raw peeled carrot to munch on, she loved it! Also I refrigerate them so they are nice and cold, sometimes she would eat the little pieces of carrot but other times she would just spit them out. I also started putting her teething keys in the freezer for half and hour or so, I didn't let them turn to ice, this also helped. I also gave her many different fruits and vegetable some hard and some mashed to help her use her jaws.

Now I found that giving her all these little things to munch and mash up with her swollen gums actually helped with her teething, I started giving her meat from around 5-6 months as well and she would just mash it up in her mouth. I think this is why she refused to eat baby food, she hated mashed up food and would prefer them whole so she could do all the hard work. I have never really needed to make baby food for her, she has always eaten what I have eaten.

Now on the other hand my sister in law didn't give anything to my niece to chew on, she would just give her baby paracetamol or teething gel. She never gave a her a carrot to chew on or put her teething toys in the freezer. So for me personally the teething stage was quite easy, she was ill for nearly two weeks with a high temperature, diarrhoea and sleeping problems but when she was better she had all her teeth come in at the same time.

I'm not saying this is what you have to do but this is what worked for me, also I don't like taking pain medication unless absolutely necessary and the same goes for my daughter I try other natural ways first before I resort to medicines. Its better that she knows pain and understands how to manage it rather than dull her senses all the time, but that's just my personal opinion.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

“I try other natural ways first before I resort to medicines.” – Hands down to this, Peaches. In my opinion, it’s really not reasonable to let babies take any medication. Teething is a natural stage that we go through, so it should be remedied naturally. But it won’t do harm if you consult her pedia or dentist for additional info.

Kenneth @Avenue Dental Group

Unknown said...

I tried everything for my daughter she has been teething since 3 months she is 7-8 months & is cranky I given her teething gel , teething tablets & teething toys & nothing what can I do to help her teeth come out faster ?

Monoj Verma said...

Baby is the best gift of nature.It is very important take care of them in a right way.Thanks share your post.

c.curtis said...

My son has been biting everything, dribbling and in pain on and off since he was 3 months. He is now 11 months and still has no teeth. Not one! He has never liked soft food and has had hard foods since he was 6 months. He has carrots to bite, apples etc when his gums hurt, and then he eats actual food with us. We haven't used teething he'll because I tried once and he dribbled it all straight back out!
They are giving him so much grief at the moment, I really want them to hurry up and come through!!!

Unknown said...

Does your little one have any teeth yet? My 10 month old baby is the same way....no teeth in sight

Florence said...

My baby turned one this September. We're seeing signs of the long awaited teething & now 1 tooth is on the surface. We are so earger to see a set of teeth. Judging by the comments it's comforting that she isn't too late. Wish there was a way to facilitate faster teething though.

Smurfete3000 said...

My 10 month old, soon to be 11 also doesn't have a tooth in sight

Happy mamma said...

My little one got her first tooth at ten months. I can see the incisors, all four, under the gums they look like they are just about to break through, they have looked like that for the past two months I dotlnt know what to do to get them to break through

Unknown said...

My baby started teething at an early stage but there we no signs of teeth...now she is 10 months and the teeth have not cut through.I can see them clearly its been a few weeks now.Maybe its the teething gel that hardened her gums

Unknown said...

My baby just turned 1 years old and still doesn’t have any teeth... He eats everything we eats, he try to bite everything and everybody.

Dee2 said...

Am experiencing same problem now, how did ur go?

Deborah said...

Every baby is different. Don't worry about them...they will be fine. I've heard it said that the later your baby gets teeth the healthier the teeth will be. My baby started teething at 3mo but they didn't pop through till 6mo. Now she is 8mo and working on 4 top teeth all at once. They are almost in, but not quite. The worse problem for us has been not sleeping well (up 5-10x a night!)

Unknown said...

My 7 month old has almost 3 teeth how do you get them to pop through anyone know I heard ice but not sure if anyone has tried it

Unknown said...

My soon to be 9 month old doesn't have any teeth yet. My other 4 kids had teeth at this point. And I have done the same thing with him as I did my other kids, and nothing

Unknown said...

My daughter is now 9 months but yet no teeth at all so how can I help her to teeth fast

Unknown said...

My son is 11 months old but no teeth at all how can I help him teeth faster

Unknown said...

my son is nearly 18 months and only has 2 teeth.been very dribbly since 3 months old.given teething granules on and off since then.desperate for more teeth so i can cook some of the advanced recipes for his age from my weaning books.

Unknown said...

My 11 month old baby has no tooth yet, not even one. She has had the signs since she was 6 month but till now.
Am worried how can I help her

Unknown said...

My Daughter Is Now 9 Months & Still Has Zero Teeth & She’s Been Teething Since She Was 3 Months .

Anonymous said...


I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

Sarah said...

My son began teething around 4 months had his two bottom teeth by 6 months and now at 7 months he has 5 top teeth coming in. The two center and 2 to the left and 1 on the be right. I don’t give him any medicine or numbing agent because babies push through naturally with whatever you choose to give them to chew on. Sure it uncomfortable but they will find ways to cope and the process will go by faster. My son chews on wipes, crushed water bottle, baby tooth brush, toys and breast feeds more often. He wakes up a few more times at night to feed and I comfort him through his fussy moments during he day with distractions (practice walking, taking him for a ride in his stroller, etc) They just need to CHEW CHEW CHEW!!

clad hagel said...



Am jeremiah, I am testifying about a great hebal man that cured my wife of hepatitis B and liver cirhosis. his name is Dr oniha. My wife was diagnose of hepatities two years ago, i almost spent all i had then, until i saw dr oniha recommendation online, and i call him, then he told me how to get the herb. You can call him on +2347089275769 or email him at dronihaspell@yahoo.com

Shannon Mackle said...

Please Approve comment..

I was cured from Herpes Hsv-2, Herpes is not a life sentence, Ignorance makes people suffer,

Thanks Robinsonbuckler11@gmail.com

He has the best herbal remedy

Use his help to win back Ex-lover

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up