Gappy, uneven and sharp teeth in babies

When my little girl started getting her teeth the bottom two came in first followed by the top two (central incisors) they both appeared within a week of each other. When her top two came through there was a huge gap between the two and I was a little shocked. She started using a dummy since she was little but only uses it for her naps and bedtime she doesn't use it during the day, I thought this might be the reason for the big gap. My niece sucks her thumb and she too has a big gap so I was beginning to think that there was a link.

When I spoke to my mum and I have never had a dummy or sucked my thumb and I too had a big gap, in fact my other siblings had big gaps in their upper teeth too. After talking to a dentist he assured me that some babies have gappy teeth and others don't there really isn't an explanation. He also said that once all the teeth come through and settle in they will close up and there will be no more gaps.

As soon as my little ones teeth came though she also started grinding her teeth a lot, this was a little worrying as it can lead to really weird and flat teeth but she eventually stopped. I then found out that it is normal for them to grind their teeth as they are adjusting to getting teeth in their mouth, also it doesn't cause any long term damage.

When all her teeth came through (minus her second molars) I also found them to be very sharp and a few of them very pointed, but it doesn't last long. They will eventually file down and become less sharp and pointy.
16 months
I just wanted to write a little post on baby teeth because as a first time mum myself I was a little concerned about a few little things. Now my princess is older she is perfectly fine but yesterday when she was sharing her snacks with her little cousin (who has only 6 teeth) her little cousin bit her little fingers and she shrieked in pain. Although my little on has passed the ' I'm going to bite your fingers every time you feed me' stage her little cousin unfortunately has long to go.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear you, Peaches. Every little thing that happens on our kids can be a big issue to us moms. Anyway, it is true that having gappy teeth on babies is a normal scenario. You don’t need to worry too much as it can be replaced by a more permanent teeth in the future.

Deena Herring

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment, I should do an update they aren't so gappy anymore :)

mine az said...

My baby was also having a gap in her teeth so I had consulted to dentist Manhattan Beach who explained everything to me. Was very happy to know that once his other teeth’s will come everything will be settled. Thanks to dentist for great advices.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up